2nd October 2017 – Help Stop Animal Cruelty
HELP STOP ANIMAL CRUELTY NOW!
The present maximum sentence in England for animal cruelty is only 6 months however new legislation will see that length rise to a maximum of 5 years. This will bring the maximum sentences for animal cruelty in England, into line with that in Australia, Canada, the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland.The increase in maximum sentences is a result of some horrific crimes against animals where the courts have been powerless to give harsher sentences. These crimes include:-
- A man who bought a number of puppies just to brutally and systematically beat, choke and stab them to death.
- The case of Reo, a nine-year-old German shepherd who was whimpering in agony when she was found, suffering from open wounds on her ears, jaw and eye.
- A bulldog repeatedly thrown down a flight of stairs, stamped upon and headbutted
- A royal python and boa constrictor which were both decapitated with a pair of scissors
- A shih-tzu dog repeatedly stabbed in the face and neck with a kitchen knife before being left to die in broad daylight
- Badgers dug out of a sett and a waiting pack of dogs encouraged to attack them as their ordeal was filmed on a mobile phone
- A golden eagle kept in a cramped kitchen, surrounded by broken glass and empty tin cans.
- Men who buried a dog alive after driving nail into its head. A couple found the dog in woodland after hearing whimpering. They found him buried under a mound of earth and dug him out before discovering a nail sticking out between his eyes. Police were called and the dog – who had been suffering from an untreated brain tumour – was rushed to vets who were left with no choice but to put him to sleep.
- A woman who failed to meet the needs of 80 guinea pigs and two dogs which were living in ‘shocking’ conditions in her one-bedroom flat . The guinea pigs were living in the lounge and an outside shed. The dogs were in crates in a cupboard recess off the hall, where she admitted in interview they could be confined for up to seven hours a day. All the animals were housed in filthy cramped conditions, without food and many without water. The guinea pigs were housed in baskets, in boxes and on furniture shelves and she admitted she didn’t know how many she had.
- A Staffordshire man dragged his cat from one end of a street to the other on a lead, causing terrible grazes to his feet and body. The 11-year-old ginger-and-white tabby, called Milky, was seen crying out in pain during the 20-minute journey.
The list goes on and on. In fact in 2017 the RSPCA case load rose to over 150,000 investigations. There would be millions of cases worldwide!
Its good news that the maximum sentence is being raised to 5 years but the IRONY is that even the current 6 month sentence is rarely given! And that is an utter disgrace! In fact less than Less than 8% of convicted animal abusers are sent to prison.
Animal cruelty does just not occur in the United Kingdom. In the United States the cruelty laws vary from state to state and seem to range from 6 months to 5 years in most cases with a maximum of 10 years in Alabama.
But many countries around do not have any laws of any substance against animal cruelty, in the 21st Century this is absolutely shocking.
WHAT YOU CAN DO TO HELP STOP ANIMAL CRUELTY
Please sign our petition to have Animal Cruelty Laws strengthened and acted upon in countries where they have them and to be passed in countries where they do not. Harsh and severe sentences while not eradicating cruelty will greatly help to deter.
It doesn’t matter where in the world you live if you believe tough cruelty laws should exist PLEASE SIGN THE PETITION NOW AND MORE IMPORTANTLY PLEASE SHARE THIS POST.