How to Get Rid of Fleas

Share

How to Get Rid of Fleas

www.freeimages.com

www.freeimages.com

Fleas are the most common nuisance for every cat. Not only they can irritate your pet, but also can cause a lot of trouble. Fleas are blood-sucking insects that inject saliva into the cat’s skin. In this way, they transmit various infectious agents that can cause an allergic reaction, such as flea allergy dermatitis, causing the hair loss in some areas of cat’s fur. Fleas can also infect your cat with tapeworms, known as Dipylidium caninum. If your cat scratches often or bites its fur, then it is time for you to look carefully for these pesky insects, especially around its neck and at the base of its tail. The article of the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA) “Fleas” suggests the possible ways on how to get rid of fleas.

How to Get Rid of Fleas

How Can I Get Rid of My Cat’s Fleas?

The best way to tackle the problem is to consult your veterinarian for a flea control program designed specifically for your pet and your pet’s environment—one that treats fleas in all stages of life. There are increasingly effective flea control products available both as prescription and over-the-counter formulas. These formulas often require just one monthly application to the skin to effectively kill adult fleas and prevent egg development.

How Can I Get Rid of Fleas In My House?

• Thoroughly vacuum rugs, upholstery, your cat’s bedding and her favorite places to sleep and eat—and throw out the vacuum bag right away. Vacuum daily in high traffic areas, weekly in other areas. This will help eliminate flea eggs, pupae and young fleas.
• Wash your pet’s bedding weekly.
• Apply a safe area spray, fogger or powder directly to your pet’s sleeping area, rugs, chairs and other areas she frequents.
• If using a fogger, keep in mind that some brands may not kill flea eggs. You also may need to re-fog two weeks later when eggs have hatched. During each application, everyone—humans and allanimals—may need to clear out of the house for the amount of time recommended on the label.
• Treat all animals in the house, not just the pets with obvious infestations.
• For severe infestations, a professional exterminator may be of help.
• While cleaning, remember that fleas naturally hide in dark areas such as behind furniture and under bedding.

How Can I Get Rid of Fleas In My Yard?

Flea control outdoors may not be necessary if you keep up your indoor program. If you are going to treat the yard, the following tips may be useful:
• Clean up organic debris, such as rake clippings, leaves and straw.
• Use an environmentally safe spray and follow label directions.
• Repeat treatment as directed.
• Remember that fleas like to hide in dark, moist, shady areas.

As you can see, it is not sufficient to treat the cat only, but also to treat your house and yard, if you have an outdoor cat. There is the fact that only 5% of fleas are living in the pet’s fur. The other 95 per cent has been spread through your environment as flea eggs, larvae and pupae. As prevention measures, regular and detailed cleaning is necessary to keep all forms of fleas away from your cat. Complete application of these measures can prevent immature forms of fleas to grow and develop fully. This is the only way to expel these nasty guests from your home and protect your cat.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

×